After an uncharacteristic season a year ago in which the East Carolina baseball team posted a 32-27 (.542) record and missed post-season play, Head Coach Billy Godwin and his staff welcomes 12 new faces to help put the Pirates back into post-season play.
ECUPirates.com sat down with the Ohlone JC all-conference shortstop for a quick 15 Question segment:
1. Person in history I'd most like to meet: Babe Ruth
2. Best athlete I've played against: Zach Johnson - 48th round pick by the Oakland A's in 2010
3. Favorite Pro-Sports team is: San Francisco Giants
4. Favorite midnight snack: Chocolate shakes
5. Favorite breakfast cereal as a kid: Cinnamon Toast Crunch
6. When I get nervous I: Bite my nails
7. The thing I like most about ECU is: The hospitality and its rabid fan base for all sports
8. When I played baseball as a kid I pretended I was: Hall of Famer Ozzie Smith
9. My advice to youngsters is: Play hard and be humble
10. The biggest obstacle I've overcome was: Not letting people talk me out of playing baseball
11. I'm most proudest of: My sister Mallory
12. My favorite summer or part-time job was: Painting
13. I hated it when my mother made me eat: Green Beans
14. My worst fear is: Failure
15. The one thing I would most want to accomplish in baseball is: Win the College World Series
Did You Know?
Mike went to the same Junior College as current Pirate assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Nick Schnabel. Ussery helped Onlone Junior College claim the California State Championship in 2010 and verbally committed to ECU over the phone without ever stepping foot on campus.
Summer In The Cape:
Earlier this week while I was doing some research, I ran across a complete list of players that will be playing in the Cape Cod Baseball League in 2011. And to no surprise, a couple of Pirates have landed on 2011 rosters for the Bourne Braves (Tyler Joyner) and Harwich Mariners (John Wooten). Since taking over the East Carolina baseball program, head coach Billy Godwin has helped place 13 Pirates on squads in the most prestigious collegiate wood bat league in the country. Below is a list of players that have played in the Cape for ECU since 2006:
2006: Shane Mathews (Cotuit)
2007: T.J. Hose (Bourne)
2008: Trent Ashcraft (Hyannis), Stephen Batts (Cotuit) and Kyle Roller (Bourne)
2009: Kevin Brandt (Hyannis), Seth Maness (Bourne), Kyle Roller (Bourne), Seth Simmons (Yarmouth-Dennis) and Trent Whitehead (Hyannis)
2010: Kevin Brandt (Hyannis), Mike Wright (Harwich), Zach Wright (Falmouth) and John Wooten (Harwich)
2011: Tyler Joyner (Bourne) and John Wooten (Harwich)
In other news:
On Monday, Jan. 24 at noon Coach Godwin will address a luncheon at The Chelsea in downtown New Bern, N.C. For more information please contact Butch Ricks (252-633-5268), John Turnage (252-671-9410), or Tom Southern (252-637-3013).