Head Coach Billy Godwin has said on numerous occasions that when he hits the recruiting trail that he wants to make North Carolina his top priority and bring the top talent to East Carolina, and since stepping on campus in 2005 that's pretty much what he has done. But that doesn't mean he won't venture away from the Old North State looking to reel in top talent from neighboring states to help the Pirates reach their goal of Omaha.
Incoming freshman Austin Chrismon is just one of 12 players on the 2011 roster not from the state of North Carolina. Chrismon hails from Newport News, Va. where he was a three-year letterwinner for Coach Phil Forbes and the Menchville Monarchs.
The 6-2 right-hander, who was drafted in the 32nd round by the Houston Astros in the 2010 MLB Amateur Draft, posted a 6-3 record on the mound with an impressive 1.88 ERA as a senior and helped the Monarchs to an 18-5 record. A year earlier he helped lead the Monarchs to a 26-2 record, the 2009 VHSL State Championship and a final No. 1 national ranking by USA Today, Louisville Slugger and Baseball America.
ECUPirates.com sat down with the High School All-American for a quick 15 Question segment:
sports hero: John Lester (Boston Red Sox)
2. Person in history I'd most like to meet: George Washington
3. Best athlete I've played against (any sport): Bren Renner (Quarterback at UNC)
4. My favorite cartoon/TV show as a child was: Pokémon
5. My favorite midnight snack: Pop-Tarts
6. When I get nervous I: Stutter and talk low
7. The thing I like most about ECU is: Being a PIRATE!
8. My favorite summer job or part-time job was: Dog watching
9. The job I hated most was: Busting tables at Texas Roadhouse
10. My most prized possession is: My state championship ring
11. My favorite breakfast cereal as a kid: Lucky Charms
12. My favorite song to sing in the shower is: Small Town Girl by Journey
13. I hated it when my mother made me eat: Peas
14. My advice to youngsters is: Think before you act (make good choices)
15. Favorite pre-game song: 'Till I Collapse by Eminem
Did You Know?
Austin Chrismon is one of eight players on the 2011 squad that has been drafted by a Major League team. The others are Shawn Armstrong (2008/Astros), Chris Gosik (2009/Phillies), Joseph Hughes (2009/Nationals), Tyler Joyner (2009/Indians), Seth Maness (2010/Marlins), Jack Reinheimer (2010/Braves) and John Wooten (2009/Padres).