One of the hardest things for incoming freshmen to do is adjust to college life and for a student-athlete it's seems to be a little harder. The daily rigors of trying to fit in with your peers, excel academically and be successful on the field/court it takes a lot of dedication and time management skills.
Lovick has been able to step up to the "plate" and make a smooth transaction
after his first semester at East Carolina. The Kinston, N.C. native was named
to the ECU Director of Athletics Honor Roll after earning a perfect 4.0 GPA
(Chancellor's List honors). At Kinston High School, Lovick was a member of the
National Honor Society and Spanish Honor Roll Society and graduated No. 3 in
He received his International Baccalaureate Diploma (IB), which is designed as an academically challenging and balanced program of education with final examinations that prepares students, normally aged 16 to 19, for success at university and life beyond. The program is normally taught over two years and has gained recognition and respect from the world's leading universities.
Outside the classroom, Lovick was a seven-time letterwinner for the Vikings (baseball-4, football-3) and three-time all-conference performer for Coach Jason Wade. As a senior he batted an impressive .518 with four home runs, 23 RBI, 10 doubles, two triples, scored 38 runs and swiped 21 bases helping the Vikings to the 2010 ECC regular season championship with a 18-6 overall record. For his stellar play, Lovick was named ECC Player-of-the-Year to go along with his 2A N.C. All-State honors.
ECUPirates.com sat down with Lovick for a quick 15 Question segment:
1. Favorite sports hero: Sir Roger Bannister (ran the first sub-four-minute mile in recorded history)
2. Favorite non-sports hero: George Washington
3. Person in history I'd most like to meet: Daniel from The Bible
4. Best athlete I've played against (any sport): Reggie Bullock (Guard at UNC)
5. My favorite sports announcer is: Chris Berman and Joe Morgan
6. My favorite cartoon/TV shoe as a child was: Batman
7. My goal in life is to: Become a dentist
8. My favorite toy as a child: Lincoln Logs
9. My favorite midnight snack: Chocolate milkshakes
10. The thing I like most about ECU is: The atmosphere and enthusiasm of the fans
11. My advice to youngsters is: Never assume your role model is perfect
12. I'm proudest of: Being a Pirate and a collegiate athlete
13. My favorite summer job or part-time job was: Lovick's Café bus-boy
14. My most prized possession is: International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
15. If I were a Pirate, my name would be: Colonel Johnson
Did You Know?
Lovick was one of four players on the 2011 team that earned a 4.0 GPA in the fall semester. The others were Jacob Davis, Austin Homan (graduate school) and D.J. Jauss.