Ali once said "Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from
something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision."
The 2011 freshmen class at East Carolina are champions on the field winning a combined 15 conference and state titles, but their collective desire and vision to help the Pirates earn their first-ever trip to Omaha and win the College World Series is why they now call Greenville, N.C. home.
Freshman Drew Reynolds has been successful both on the field and in the classroom. Over the last four years he has been part of five championship squads and appeared in six championship series on the diamond.
The Cherryville, N.C. native led East Rutherford High School to the 2010 2A State Championship as a senior, two years after helping them to a second-place finish as a sophomore. During his senior season he batted .519 with five home runs and claimed state championship MVP honors as well as repeat honors as the 2A SMAC Conference Player-of-the-Year and N.C. All-State honors.
In addition to his state and conference titles in 2010, Reynolds was also a member of three-consecutive N.C. Area IV American Legion championships. In December of 2010 he was named N.C. Area IV Player-of-the-Year after batting .375 with six home runs and 39 RBI, while going 6-1 with four saves on the mound.
Off the field he was a member of the National Honors Society at East Rutherford and in the fall of 2010 he was named to the ECU Director of Athletics Honor Roll.
sat down with Reynolds for a quick 15 Question segment:
1. Favorite sports hero: Cal Ripken, Jr.
2. Person in history I'd most like to meet (and why): Ted Williams - best hitter that ever lived
3. If I were a superhero I'd be: Batman
4. My favorite sports announcer is: Dick Vitale
5. My favorite move is: Sandlot
6. Favorite movie quote: "Remember kid, there are heroes and there are legends. Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong." - Sandlot
7. If I could be a character in a movie or a T.V. show, it would be: Rocky Balboa
8. The one thing I want to accomplish in my sport is: Win the College World Series
9. My favorite midnight snack: Pop-Tarts
10. My teammates think I'm: All about winning
11. If I could change one thing about myself I would: Weigh more
12. My worst fear is: Snakes
13. Favorite pre-game meal: Chicken strips
14. The biggest obstacle I've overcome was: Bad eye sight
15. Favorite pre-game song: "Kick it in the sticks" by Brantley Gilbert
Did You Know?
Reynolds is one of 10 current Pirates that helped their respective high schools to a state championship title: Austin Chrismon (2009), Chris Gosik (2009), Joseph Hughes (2009), Chase McDonald (2008), Tanner Merritt (2008), Jack Reinheimer (2009), Seth Simmons (2006 & 2007), Zach Woods (2005) and Zach Wright (2007).