Blake comes to ECU as a four-year letterwinner for head coach Jamie Mabe at Ronald Reagan High School. The Pfafftown, N.C. native is a four-time Central Piedmont 3A All-Conference and all-county performer and helped the Raiders to a 7-3 league record as a senior, where he belted eight home runs.
freshman season, Blake batted .508 with a pair of home runs and was named Triad Sports Weekly Rookie-of-the-Year. He followed his
rookie campaign hitting four round-trippers while batting .450 and as a junior
batted .400 with a team-best 10 homeruns, 33 RBI and seven doubles.
ECUPirates.com sat down with Blake for a quick 15 Question segment:
1. Favorite sports hero: Mickey Mantle
2. Person in history I'd most like to meet (& why): Mickey Mantle because he is arguably the best hitter ever in the game.
3. Best athlete I've played against: Madison Bumgarner - 1st round pick by the San Francisco Giants (10th overall) in 2007.
4. If I had to play another sport at ECU it would be: Golf
5. If I were a superhero I'd be: Superman
6. My favorite sports announcer is: Dick Vitale
7. My favorite movie is: Black Sheep
8. My favorite cartoon/TV show as a child was: Courage the Cowardly Dog
9. My favorite breakfast cereal as a kid was: Cocoa Pebbles
10. The CD I listen to most is: Metallica - The Black Snake Album
11. I hated it when my mother made me eat: Meatloaf
12. My advice to youngsters is: Never give up and keep your eyes on your goals
13. My worst fear is: Clowns
14. The biggest
obstacle I've overcome was: Climbing Pilot Mountain
15. When I played my sport as a
kid I pretended I was: Mickey Mantle and Albert Pujols
Connerely capped off his senior season helping Coach Kenny Lewis and the Confederates claim a share of the Capital District crown. He batted .425 with four homeruns in 2010 and was named first-team all-district, all-metro and all-region, while also garnering second-team N.C. all-state accolades and was named district player-of-the-year.
On the gridiron, he was a three-time letterwinner earning first-team all-district honors as a receiver and was a honorable mention selection as a defensive back as a senior.
In the classroom, Connerely was seven-time academic all-district selection (baseball-4, football-3) as well as a member of the National Honor Society, Beta Club, Varsity Club and was a Hanover Scholar. During his first semester at East Carolina he posted a 3.0 GAP and was named to the ECU Director of Athletics Honor Roll in the Fall of 2010.
sat down with Connerley for a quick 15 Question segment:
1. Favorite sports hero: Cal Ripken, Jr.
2. Person in history I'd most like to meet: George Washington
3. Most impressive person I've ever met: James Robert "Radio" Kennedy
4. Best athlete I've played against: Jameson Taillon - 1st round pick by the Pittsburgh Pirates (2nd overall) in 2010.
5. If I were a superhero I'd be: Batman
6. People say I look like: John Cena (wrestler)
7. My favorite sports announcer is: Dick Vitale
8. My favorite movie is: Shooter and the Hurt Locker
9. My favorite cartoon/TV show as a child was: Scooby-Doo
10. My favorite toy as a child: Tonka Trucks
11. My favorite breakfast cereal as a kid was: Cinnamon Toast Crunch
12. The think I like most about ECU is: The atmosphere
13. My advice to youngsters is: Always give 110 percent, a 100 percent of the time
14. My most prized possession is: My dogs
15. My worst fear is: Spiders