East Carolina looks to improve to 6-1 this afternoon when it clashes with Maryland in the LeClair Classic finale. Maryland has been impressive thus far in 2012. The Terrapins opened the campaign with a road series win at UCLA. They have knocked off Western Carolina (3-0) and Purdue (11-1) to improve their record to 4-1.
With a Pirate win today, both teams will finish the tournament with a 2-1 record.
Here's more news and notes for today's ECU vs. Maryland game...
East Carolina vs. Maryland Notes
- In Maryland's first win on Saturday, right-hander Brady Kirkpatrick pitched 7 1/3 scoreless innings allowing just four hits and striking out five.
- David Carroll was equally as impressive in the nightcap for the Terps. He gave up one run (unearned) on four hits while walking a pair and striking out eight.
- Kyle Convissar is leading the charge offensively for MD. In two games, he is batting .556 (5-for-9) with two runs, three RBIs and a double.
- Tim Kiene has swung the bat well also. He is 4-for-8 with two runs and three RBIs. He joins ECU's Corey Thompson and MD teammate Michael Montville as the only players with round trippers on the weekend.
- Maryland has given up one run (unearned) in two games. The Terrapins have given up just nine runs in five games through Saturday's tilts.
- East Carolina moved to 5-1 yesterday after splitting a pair of contests. The Pirates knocked off WCU (3-1) after dropping a game against Purdue (6-4).
- Tyler Joyner was dominant on the mound against the Catamounts. The junior lefty hurled seven scoreless innings while allowing just three hits. He walked one and struck out three. Thus far in 2012, Joyner has pitched 11 2/3 frames and allowed one run (1 BB, 7 K).
- The bullpen has continued its stellar work on the bump. Jeff Hoffman, Tanner Merritt and Drew Reynolds combined to throw four scoreless innings yesterday. The trio of relievers have yet to allow a run in 2012. Bullpen totals: 21.0 IP, 9 H, 1 R (earned), 8 BB, 21 K.
- Zach Wright helped the Pirates to a 3-1 win over WCU with a game-winning, two-run double to left field in the bottom of the sixth. The senior catcher is hitting .600 (3-for-5) with a pair of RBIs this weekend.
- Thompson began the season red-hot at the plate and maintained that pace yesterday. The third baseman currently leads ECU in hits (11), home runs (2), total bases (18), walks (6) and RBIs (7). He ranks second on the squad in batting average (.478) and runs scored (6).
- Probable Starters: Jharel Cotton (ECU) vs. Brett Harman (MD). Cotton was strong in his Pirate debut as he pitched six innings giving up just one run in a win against Milwaukee. Harman pitched five shutout innings against UCLA in his first start since 2010.
Check out the '10th Inning' after today's game for more coverage of the Ninth Annual Keith LeClair Classic.