East Carolina returns to the diamond this evening to kickoff a three-game series with the visiting UAB Blazers.
The Pirates are coming off an extra-inning setback at the hands of N.C. State on Wednesday night after dropping their first Conference USA series of the 2012 campaign last weekend at UCF.
UAB claimed its league-opening set against Marshall. Here's more insight into ECU's first home C-USA series of the year...
Game News and Notes
UAB Leading Hitters:
- Jeff Schalk: .325 BA, 3 2B, 8 R
- Ivan De Jesus: .307, 9 RBI, 12 R
- Keith DePew: .297, 9 RBI, 14 R
- Patrick Palmeiro: .250, 9 2B, 3B, HR, team-best 16 RBI
ECU Leading Hitters:
- Drew Reynolds: .377, 4 R, 5 2B, HR, 8 RBI
- Corey Thompson: .329, 4 2B, 4 HR, 20 RBI
- John Wooten: .322, club-high 20 R, 3 HR, 11 RBI
- Tim Younger: .320, 13 R, 11 RBI
- Jay Cannon: .319, 3 2B, 2 HR, 10 RBI
- Junior John Wooten is riding an 11-game hitting streak where he is batting .388 (19-for-49) with a home run, five RBI, 12 runs scored, two doubles and three walks. He has six multi-hit games during the span.
- Friday night features one of the season's best pitching matchups. East Carolina senior lefty Kevin Brandt (3-2, 1.65 ERA) squares off against Blazer right-hander Dillon Napoleon (3-1, 2.95 ERA). Napoleon outdueled Seth Maness in UAB's victory over the Pirates in 2011.
- Brandt will make his seventh start of the season tonight against the Blazers. In 43.2 innings pitched, he has allowed 12 runs (eight earned) on 34 hits with 30 strikeouts and 10 walks. In his last outing against No. 19 UCF, he tossed his third career complete game in a 2-1 loss where he allowed two runs (one earned) on six hits with two walks and three strikeouts.
Check out the '10th Inning' following tonight's contest as we will provide extended coverage of the series opener.