No. 24 East Carolina is coming off a midweek victory over UNC Wilmington and a series victory over Conference USA foe Houston last weekend as it faces a pair of non-conference opponents Tuesday and Wednesday.
Tomorrow's matchup pits the Pirates against Elon and the club returns to the friendly confines of Clark-LeClair Stadium on Wednesday seeking a season sweep of Old Dominion.
Here's more insight into Tuesday's tilt...
Last Week Recap (Courtesy of East Carolina Sports Information Department)
Apr. 3 - Win at UNC Wilmington, 5-0
Apr. 5 - Win vs. Houston, 10-3
Apr. 6 - Win vs. Houston, 16-1 (7 inn.)
Apr. 7 - Tie vs. Houston, 4-4 (12 inn.)
- East Carolina's Tim Younger was named Conference USA Hitter-of-the-Week following a stellar performance in four games a week ago. Younger becomes the second Pirate slugger to garner the award in 2012 after Drew Reynolds earned the accolade earlier in the season.
- Younger batted a team-best .500 (9-for-18) on the week and helped the Pirates to their second-straight C-USA series win over Houston ... He recorded multiple hits in all four games and scored a run in all three C-USA contests ... Against instate rival UNC Wilmington (Apr. 3) he was 2-for-4 (both singles) and reached base three times (HBP) ... In the series opener against Houston he was 2-fof-4 with a pair of RBI, a run scored and reach base four times (2 singles, walk, FC) ... Younger followed that with his third-straight multi-hit performance going 2-for-4 with a pair of runs and a walk ... In the series finale he tied his career-high with three hits (2 singles, double) and scored a pair of runs ... On the season he is batting a team second-best .359 (37-for-103) with five doubles, 18 RBI and 22 runs scored ... He has collected a career-best 11 multi-hit and five multi-RBI contests ... His .359 average also ranks seventh in league action (all games) ... Younger improved in average in C-USA games to .429 (15-for-35) and has three doubles, 11 RBI and scored 11 runs.
- Elon enters Tuesday's contest with a 19-14 record and 12-6 ledger in Southern Conference play.
- The Phoenix have played one of the nation's toughest schedules. They took two games from then No. 30 College of Charleston as well as a pair of decisions against then No. 29 Appalachian State. Elon was swept by then No. 2 South Carolina and dropped two games against both North Carolina and Clemson.
- Elon and ECU share three common opponents thus far. It defeated High Point 6-3 (11 innings) and UNCW (5-4) while suffering an 8-1 setback at the hands of N.C. State.
Elon Leading Hitters
- Alex Swim: .378 BA, 51 H, 5 2B, 20 RBI
- Jake Luce: .317, 39 H, 9 2B, 4 3B, HR, 22 RBI
- Sebastian Gomes: .299, 38 H, 20 R, 5 2B, 2 HR, 13 RBI
- Ryan Kinsella: .270, 31 H, 23 R (club-best), 6 2B, 2 3B, 3 HR, 19 RBI
- Garrett Koster: .250, 30 H, 9 2B, 7 HR, team-high 25 RBI
Probable Pitching Staters
- East Carolina will start freshman right-hander Jeff Hoffman while Elon will counter with David Whitehead.
- Hoffman: 1-0 (9 appearances, 3 starts), 1.95 ERA, 1 save, 27.2 IP, 19 H, 8 R (6 ER), 6 BB, 15 K ... Two of Hoffman's starts came against nationally-ranked N.C. State. Tuesday's game will mark the freshman's third consecutive road start.
- Whitehead: 1-2 (11 appearances, 4 starts), 6.00 ERA, 33 IP, 22 R (all earned), 33 H, 21 BB, 20 K
East Carolina Leading Hitters
- Drew Reynolds: .370 BA, 34 H, 6 2B, 2 HR, 13 RBI
- Tim Younger: .359, 37 H, 5 2B, 18 RBI
- Jay Cannon: .333, 31 H, 5 2B, 2 HR, 16 RBI
- John Wooten: .331, 39 H, 6 HR, 18 RBI
- Corey Thompson: .322, 39 H, 7 2B, 4 HR, 26 RBI
Pirates in the Polls
- After its 3-0-1 week, East Carolina was ranked No. 24 by Pefect Game. In the USA Today/ESPN Coaches Poll, the Pirates were ranked 26th and NCBWA dubbed the Purple and Gold the nation's 30th best squad.
Check out the '10th Inning' tomorrow evening as we'll recap Tuesday night's action as well as provide a preview for the Wednesday matchup with Old Dominion.