Cheer And Mascot Policy Statement
The East Carolina University Athletic Department supports and directs the Cheerleaders and Mascots. As student support programs in the athletic department the squads adhere to the role and mission of the East Carolina University Department of Intercollegiate Athletics.
The primary mission of the East Carolina University Cheerleaders and Mascots is to function as spirit leaders and public relations ambassadors of East Carolina University.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
GOAL: To be exemplary representatives of East Carolina University.
1. To encourage fan support and ECU spirit at athletic events and athletic related events (pep rallies, Homecoming, etc.) as cheerleaders and mascots
2. To appear at University activities, functions, programs and philanthropic events.
3. To represent the University at various local and state activities, functions, programs and philanthropic events
4. To raise the level of public support for the University
East Carolina University Cheerleading includes the cheerleading squads and mascot. Supervision and support for the Squad is the responsibility of the East Carolina University Athletic Department.
CHEER SQUAD BENEFITS
East Carolina University is committed to assist Cheerleading members in their academic and personal growth and in achieving their highest potential as individuals. Other significant benefits include:
1. Access to the Student Development Lab for Athletics (computer lab with internet access).
2. Early registration opportunity through the Student Development office.
3. Participate in the Strength and Conditioning program.
4. Financial support.
5. Travel opportunities and experiences.
6. Leadership development opportunities.
7. Medical and training room services.
8. Psychological/Mental Health and Nutritional services
9. Equipment and Clothing
It is imperative for Cheerleading members to remember they are representing East Carolina University, the East Carolina University Athletic Department and the State of North Carolina. Conduct and behavior must be exemplary at all times, not just when in uniform. Therefore, East Carolina University Cheerleaders will conduct themselves in a lawful manner and in compliance with all city, state and federal laws and the East Carolina University Student Code of Conduct described in the East Carolina University Student handbook. Cheerleaders and mascot are also subject to the ECU Athletic Department Code of Conduct and Conference code of conduct statements.
In addition, East Carolina University Cheerleaders must adhere to the following rules and procedures. Cheerleading members who do not comply will experience disciplinary action (which may include dismissal). The Cheer Coach will make all disciplinary actions in accordance with department guidelines.
1. Cheerleading members must maintain 12 credit hours and receive a 2.0 grade point average each semester they are on the squad.
2. Returning Cheerleading members must have a 2.0 to tryout.
3. Cheerleading members who receive below a 2.0 will be on probation for one semester.
4. Cheerleaders who have a second consecutive semester below a 2.0 will be dismissed from the Squad.
5. Cheerleading members are expected to attend all classes. A Cheer coach or University administrator will conduct random checks.
6. Periodically each semester, cheerleading members will be directed to have their professors complete a grade form and return it to the appropriate athletic staff member.
7. Class excuses for official Cheerleader travel must be given to professors' prior to travel.
1. Cheer Squad members will support athletic teams, the University, community and state by using more traditional cheer methods. Specific guidelines for human pyramids, stunts and tumbling are to be followed. Safety Guidelines for Cheerleading at East Carolina University have been established for the ECU Cheerleaders and Mascots.
2. The Cheer Coaches will approve all appearances.
3. Cheerleaders must be on time for all practices, sporting events, appearances, meetings and any other squad event or activity. The first infraction will result in a warning, the second will require sitting out of a game or event, and the third will result in dismissal from the squad.
4. The Cheer Coaches will determine travel squads.
5. Cheerleaders must participate in all assigned practices, activities and events.
6. Cheerleading members must attend all meetings and practices.
7. Cheerleaders must be available for athletic events and appearances during all official East Carolina University holidays (e.g. Spring Break, Winter Break, Thanksgiving, etc.)
8. Cheerleaders who miss a scheduled appearance (game or other) without prior notification to and approval by the Cheer coach will be dismissed from the squad.
9. If a squad member is dismissed or quits the squad during a year, that individual will relinquish the opportunity to try-out for the squad the next academic year.
10. Cheerleading members will immediately report an injury or illness to Sports Medicine personnel and the Cheer coach.
11. Athletic Department doctors and/or trainers, who will determine their ability to participate, will examine cheerleading members with an illness/injury.
12. Cheerleading members will participate in strength and conditioning programs designed and implemented by professionals from the ECU Athletic Strength and Conditioning Coaches and the Sports Medicine area (see Strength Guidelines).
13. Cheerleaders will be subject to body composition testing at least once a semester as approved by ECU Sports Medicine.
14. Cheerleading members will be healthy and physically fit.
15. Cheerleaders will be subject to random drug testing.
16. Cheerleaders will not smoke in uniform, when traveling with the Squad, or prior to any event or game.
17. Cheerleading Squad members will not consume or possess alcoholic beverages at official Athletic Department or University functions.
18. Cheerleading members will adhere to the rules and procedures of East Carolina University Athletic Department's Media Relations Office in regards to any media involvement.
19. Any weight parameters, strength parameters, nutrition and/or health related guidelines would be approved and established through the ECU Athletic Training and Sports Medicine Department.
20. All disciplinary decisions will be responsibility of the cheer coaches in accordance with cheer, department and university guidelines.