ECU Rally Falls Short Against Campbell In Overtime



Jan. 2, 2013

East Carolina
  1ST 2ND OT F
25 46 10 81
Campbell 36 35 15 86
Game Report Get Acrobat Reader | Box Score |  Quotes |  Photo Gallery  | Highlights and Post-Game Interviews

Greenville,N.C. • Attendance: 3,770


81 86
FG Made-Attempted
32-75 34-65
FG Percentage
.427 .523
3PT Made-Attempted 8-34 2-4
3PT Percentage .235 .500
FT Made-Attempted 9-18 16-26
FT Percentage .500 .615
Rebounds 41 42
Turnovers 17 14

Two Tied 18 Points 25 White
Kemp 12 Rebounds 10 White
Gaines 8 Assists 6 Ryan
Gaines 2 Steals 4 Harris
Three tied 1 Blocks 2 Oliver

2012-13 Roster
2012-13 Schedule
2012-13 Stats
Gameday Central
Media Almanac

GREENVILLE, N.C. - After trailing by many as 16 in the second half and 15 with less than four minutes remaining, East Carolina mounted an impressive comeback to force overtime, before falling 86-81 to Campbell Wednesday night, ending its eight-game home winning streak.

"I was stunned a little bit for us," Pirate head coach Jeff Lebo said. "We really didn't deserve to win the game and I don't know how we got back into it as quickly as we did and have a chance to win it in regulation.

"We didn't quit that's one thing, we didn't give up."

Spearheading the late-game rally was Akeem Richmond, who uncorked the best game of his season, totaling a season-high 18 points on 6-of-13 shooting from behind the arc.

Campbell (5-9) was ahead 64-49 with 3:59 left in regulation when Richmond sparked a 22-7 run with his first of three 3-pointers in the final four minutes.

After trimming the lead to nine, East Carolina scored 11 unanswered points to take its first lead of the game, 71-69, with 38 seconds left in regulation as Shamarr Bowden buried a 3-pointer from the wing.

Campbell's Andrew Ryan drained a jumper with 21 seconds left to snap the run and knot the score 71-all. Neither team scored again in regulation.

ECU (8-4) seemed to ride the momentum of its comeback into overtime and led 78-75 with 2:09 left in overtime until Darian Hooker's jumper ignited an 11-0 game-changing Campbell run. Five different Camels scored during the stretch.

Maurice Kemp, the Pirates' leading scorer, fouled out 51 seconds into the overtime period and finished with 18 points and a game-high 14 rebounds.

The Pirates came out of the gates slowly, missing nine of their first 11 shots to fall behind by 10, 14-4, in the first five minutes. They pulled within one, 25-24 with 6:42 remaining before intermission, but were outscored 11-1 the rest of the first half, going 0-of-4 from the floor and 1-of-4 at the foul line with three turnovers.

Trailing by 11 at halftime, 36-25, the Pirates fell behind even further in the first five minutes of the second half, trailing by 16 4:15 into the period. An 8-1 spurt, got the crowd into the game as Kemp and Sampson each scored four points during the run to cut Campbell's lead to nine, 46-37.

The Camels followed with a 14-7 surge of their own to push their lead back to 16 with 7:44 remaining.

ECU missed its first 18 3-point attempts before Richmond sank one with 11 minutes to play. The Pirates made 8-of-16 3-pointers in the game's final 16 minutes, but finished shooting 23.5 percent behind the arc (8-of-34). They also shot just 50.0 percent at the free throw line (9-of-18).

"When you miss shots it sucks the energy out of you and we had some good looks," Lebo said. "You don't usually shoot them that bad, but we were trying to get it inside. They took that away, almost daring us to take some shots."

Campbell used the Pirates' misfires and 17 turnovers to score 23 fast break points and 22 points off turnovers.

Sampson (13) and Ty Armstrong (12) rounded out four Pirates in double figures, while Campbell's Darren White led all scorers with 25 points. White added 10 rebounds for his second straight double-double.

Marvell Harris had 16 for the Camels, Darius Leonard scored 12 and Leek Leek added 11.