Men's Basketball Ends Four-Game Skid With Victory Over Marshall

UABSPORTS.COM Corey Rouse (File Photo)
Corey Rouse (File Photo)

Feb. 18, 2006

Final Stats |  Quotes |  Notes

Final Box Score in PDF Format
Download Free Acrobat Reader

GREENVILLE, N.C. - Courtney Captain made 4-of-4 free throws in the final 14 seconds to help end East Carolina's four-game losing streak and give the Pirates a 63-59 win over Marshall in a Conference USA game here Saturday night.

Corey Rouse led all scorers with 20 points and grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds to register his 14th double-double of the season and 25th of his career. Captain and Sam Hinnant each added 13 points in the victory.

The trio combined to go 14-for-14 at the line as Pirates set a school record for most free throws made in a game without a miss.

Joe Miles came off the bench to lead Marshall with 19 points, while Mark Patton also recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds.

ECU (8-16, 2-9) closed out the first half on a 14-0 run to take a 33-21 lead into the locker room. Rouse started the run with a lay up to tie the game before Tyronne Beale made consecutive jumpers to give ECU a four-point lead. Hinnant and Ingram capped the run by hitting back-to-back 3s.

Ingram, whose 3-pointer ended the first half, made another 3 to start the second half to give ECU its largest lead of the night, 36-21.

Marshall (10-14, 3-8) responded with a 20-4 run over the next eight minutes to take the lead, 41-40, on a 3-pointer by Mark Dorris with 11:44 showing on the clock. Tre Whitted then pushed the Herd's lead to four with another 3-pointer.



The two teams combined for 18 3s in the game, including 11 from Marshall.

A follow dunk by Rouse tied the game at 46-46 before Hinnant's four-point play put ECU ahead to stay, 50-46, with 7:12 left.

Miles cut ECU's lead down to one, 59-58, with 46 seconds left, but Captain converted a pair of free throws to push the lead back to three.

The Pirates then sent Miles to the foul line with 1.7 seconds remaining. He made the first, but failed to draw iron on his second attempt and the Thundering Herd was forced to send Captain back to the line.