Oct. 30, 2010
Box Score |
- Senior inside receiver Dwayne Harris made nine receptions for a career-best 146 yards. Those numbers bring his total to 61 catches for 781 yards in the last seven games against Conference USA opponents dating to 2009 ¡V an average of 8.7 receptions and 111.6 yards. He has 10 total touchdowns during that span.
- It was the first time in Harris' career that the Pirates lost a Conference USA game in which he totaled 100 or more receiving yards. They were 5-0 when he surpasses 100 yards entering today.
- Harris, the ECU career leader in receptions (230) and receiving yards (2,628), has caught at least one pass in 39-straight games, the second-longest streak at the FBS level - trailing only Colorado's Scotty McKnight (44). Harris also has two or more receptions in 32 consecutive contests. He entered the game ranked sixth nationally this season in receptions per game (7.7).
- Harris also tallied a season-high 289 all-purpose yards, bringing his total to 2,167 in the last 12 games dating to 2009 - an average of 180.6 yards per contest. He has also added 12 touchdowns during that span.
- Harris' third-quarter touchdown snapped a two-game streak without scoring and moved him into a tie for second on ECU's all-time TD receptions list with 16. Harris is now tied with Walter Wilson/1986-89 and is five behind Larry Shannon/21/1994-97 for the program's lead.
- Harris' first-quarter, 49-yard rush was the longest by an East Carolina player this season and his longest since a 57-yard touchdown dash at UTEP, Oct. 13, 2007.
- In the fourth quarter, Harris hauled in a career-long, 76-yard pass.
- Junior quarterback Dominique Davis accounted for all five of the team's offensive touchdowns today. This season, Davis has accounted for 28 of the team's 36 offensive TDs. He entered the day ranked second in the country in points per game accounted for (19.7).
- Davis ran for a pair of touchdowns in the game (10 and 4 yds.), giving him seven for the season, the most for a Pirate quarterback since James Pinkney's seven in 2005. It was also Davis' third-straight game with a rushing score.
- Davis' 39 completions established an East Carolina single-game record, surpassing Dan Gonzalez's 37 from the Nov. 13, 1997, contest against Cincinnati.
- Davis' 39 completions and three touchdown passes today give him 235 completions and 21 TD tosses this year, tied for the third-most completions and touchdown passes for an East Carolina quarterback in a single season.
- Davis set a career high with 54 attempts and completed a personal-long, 76-yard pass to Harris in the fourth quarter.
- Junior inside receiver Lance Lewis set a career high with 11 receptions, just three shy of the ECU single-game record.
- Sophomore outside receiver Andrew Bodenheimer scored his first career touchdown on a three-yard pass from Davis in the opening quarter.
- Bodenheimer went on to establish a career high in receptions with five.
- Freshman inside receiver Justin Jones caught a touchdown pass in the fourth quarter for his second score in the last three games.
- Junior safety Bradley Jacobs established a personal best with nine tackles, which led the team.
- Sophomore defensive lineman Michael Brooks set a career high with eight tackles, including two for a loss.
- Senior linebacker Dustin Lineback recorded seven tackles to bring his total in Conference USA games to 50, an average of 10.0 stops per
contest. He entered the game ranked fifth in C-USA and 27th in the NCAA in tackles per game.
- Senior outside receiver Javon Brumsey made his first career start.
- Harris' nine receptions moved him past Orlando Iglesias (Houston/222/1997-2001) and into sixth on the Conference USA all-time list. Harris now has 230 career receptions.
- Harris' 289 all-purpose yards today moved him past Matt Forte (Tulane/5,261/2004-07) and into seventh on the Conference USA all-time list. Harris now has 5,504 all-purpose yards in his career.
With the Loss
- Won nine of the last 13, 11 of the last 16 and 13 of the last 19 games.
- Had its nine-game Conference USA winning streak snapped. It was ECU's first league loss since Oct. 11, 2009, at SMU.
- Had its nine-game Conference USA East Division winning streak snapped. It was ECU's first East Division loss since Nov. 15, 2008, at Southern Miss.
- Had its 26-game winning streak snapped when scoring 30 or more points. The last loss was a 44-34 decision at Wake Forest
Sept. 17, 2005.
- East Carolina falls to 5-3 overall, marking the third-straight year it has been 5-3 through eight games.
- ECU falls to 4-1 in league play. It is the fourth-straight year the Pirates have been 4-1 through five league games.
- UCF recorded its second-ever victory over the Pirates and its first in Orlando. The Pirates still lead the all-time series 8-2.
- The Pirates fall to 28-22 in Conference USA road games, including a 14-8 mark since divisional play was implemented in 2005.
- With Javon Brumsey making his first career start at outside receiver, 21 Pirates, 10 offensive and 11 defensive, have made their initial starts in 2010.
- The 28 combined points for the two teams in the fourth quarter were the most in a quarter in the series since the two tallied 31 in the third frame Oct. 6, 2007, in Greenville.
- East Carolina scored its 36 offensive touchdown of the season today. In 2009, the Pirates did not reach the 36-touchdown mark until the 12th game of the season.
- The Pirates scored a C-USA season-low 35 points today. In this season's five Conference USA games, the Pirates have totaled 216 points, an average of 43.2 per game.
- The 49 points for UCF were tied for the most East Carolina had given up this season (Tulsa, Virginia Tech).
- At the end of the first half, UCF led 28-14. The only two times the Pirates have been behind at the break this season have been the last two Conference USA road games.
- Dominique Davis' first-quarter touchdown pass extended ECU's streak to 10-straight games with a scoring pass.
- With today's three passing touchdowns, the Pirates have 22 aerial scores this season, their most since recording 23 in 1996.
- The Pirates' second, third and fourth-quarter touchdown drives consisted of 10 or more plays, bringing ECU's total to nine TD drives of 10 or more plays this season, two more than the team had all of last year.
- East Carolina continued its redzone success, converting five-of-six opportunities. The Pirates are now 32-of-34 inside the opponents' 20-yard line this season.
- ECU entered the game ranked third in the country in redzone efficiency (96.4%), trailing only Memphis (100%/9-of-9) and
Oklahoma State (97.0%/32-of-33).
- The Pirates recorded 250+ passing yards (310) and lost for just the third time in 14 games when surpassing 250 aerial yards (other losses this season at Virginia Tech and North Carolina).
- The loss also snapped an eight-game winning streak when tallying 300 passing yards.
- Its fourth-quarter, fourth-down conversion was the Pirates' 11th successful fourth-down attempt of the season. ECU now has its most conversions on fourth down since 2007, when it also had 11.
- The fourth-quarter onside kicks by East Carolina was its first since Sept. 2, 2006, at Navy.
- UCF scored touchdowns on its first four drives of the game, marking the first time this season the Pirates had surrendered four touchdowns on an opponent's opening four drives of the game.
- The 28 points in the first half by UCF were the most surrendered by the Pirates in an opening half since allowing 28 at Virginia, Oct. 11, 2008.
- The Knights scored 49 total points for their highest output in series history. Their previous best was 38 in 2007.
- UCF's third-quarter touchdown marked the first TD scored against the Pirates in the second half since Southern Miss' opening
possession of the third quarter, Oct. 9.
- Ronnie Weaver's 180 yards rushing were the most given up by ECU this year and the highest total for an opponent since Virginia Tech's Ryan Williams picked up 179 Nov. 5, 2009.
- Quarterback Jeff Godfrey also rushed for 43 yards, the most surrendered to a quarterback by ECU this season.
- UCF also rushed for five touchdowns, becoming the first team to have five ground scores since Southern Miss, Oct. 23, 2004, a span of 78 games.
- With its first-quarter touchdown, ECU extended its streak to a school-record 163 games without suffering a shutout.
- Team Captains: Offense: Dominique Davis, Dwayne Harris; Defense: Emanuel Davis, Dustin Lineback; Special Teams: Michael Barbour.
- Up Next: East Carolina plays its final nonconference game of the season next Saturday, Nov. 6, hosting Navy (5-2) for a 3:30 p.m.
contest. The game will be broadcast regionally on MASN. The Midshipmen own the only victory in series history, downing the Pirates 28-23 at Annapolis in the 2006 season opener.