Jan. 17, 2014
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. --- The East Carolina men's tennis team dropped its season opener, 7-0, to No. 43 North Carolina Friday at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center. The junior duo of Nicolas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek were the only Pirates to win a match as they defeated Oystein Steiro and James Coxe, 6-4, at the No. 3 double position.
In singles action, senior Joran Vliegen fell to Brayden Schnur in straight sets at the No. 1 spot (6-3, 6-0). At the No. 2 position, Soriano was defeated by No. 17 Ronnie Schneider in straight sets (6-3, 6-0) as senior Mario Martinez by No. 36 Brett Clark (6-1, 6-2). Junior Damien Brenard also lost in straight sets to Steiro (6-0, 6-5), with freshman Fredric Lehfeldt going down in a third set tie-breaker (6-4, 5-6, 11-9). Freshman Colin Roller was defeated in straight sets as well, losing to Stuart DePaolo at the No. 6 position (6-4, 6-3).
In other doubles action, Roller and Vliegen were taken down by Schnur and Clark at the first position, 6-2, with Bernard and Lehfeldt falling to the team of Schneider and Murray at the No. 2 position, 6-2.
The Pirates will return to the courts on Monday, Jan. 2, against UNC Asheville. The match is scheduled for a 10 a.m. start in Asheville.
1. Brayden Schnur (NC) def. #23 Joran Vliegen (ECU) 6-3, 6-0
2. #17 Ronnie Schneider (NC) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 6-3, 6-0
3. #36 Brett Clark (NC) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 6-1, 6-2
4. Oystein Steiro (NC) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-0, 6-5 (7-5)
5. Jack Murray (NC) def. Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) 6-4, 5-6 (4-7), 1-0 (11-9)
6. Stuart DePaolo (NC) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 6-4, 6-3