Men's Tennis Defeats UNC Asheville For Fist Win
Jan. 20, 2014
ASHEVILLE, N.C. - East Carolina captured four singles matches, two in three sets, and defeated UNC Asheville, 4-3, Monday at the Asheville Racquet Club to even its record at 1-1 on the young season. Asheville fell to 1-1.
The Bulldogs claimed the first point of the match winning two of three doubles matches. The ECU top doubles tandem of Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller defeated the Bulldogs' duo of Alex Croker and Brett Landau,6-4, to even up the match after Nicolas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek lost to Josh Swindler and Thomas Panoulas, 6-2, at the No. 3 position. Asheville then claimed the point as John Schubel and Daniel Kripak slipped past Fredric Lehfeldt and Damien Brenard, 6-5 (7-5) in a tie-breaker.
After dropping the first set in a tie-breaker, 6-5 (10-8), Vliegen rallied to defeat Kripak, 6-3, 6-3. Mario Martinez was also a three-set winner, defeating Croker 6-2, 5-6 (2-7), 6-5 (8-6) at the No.3 position. Lehfeldt and Roller were straight set winners at the No. 5 and 6 positions, respectively.
The Pirates return to the courts Friday, Jan. 24, as they host Longwood in their home-opener. The match is scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. at the ECU Indoor Tennis Center.
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Daniel Kripak (ASH), 5-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Thomas Panoulas (ASH) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Mario Martinez (ECU) def. Alex Croker (ASH) 6-2, 5-6 (2-7), 6-5 (8-6)
4. Brett Landau (ASH) def. Damien Brenard (ECU), 6-4, 6-4
5. Fredric Lehfeldt (ECU) def. John Schubel (ASH) 6-2, 6-2
6. Colin Roller (ECU) def. Josh Swindler (ASH) 6-5 (9-7), 6-3