Feb. 4, 2012
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - The East Carolina University men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision at Memphis late Friday night, ending its four-match winning streak.
The Tigers (4-0) won the doubles point to open the match. The No. 50 ranked team of David O'Hare and Joe Salisbury defeated the Pirates' Nicolas Soriano and Joran Vliegen 8-6 at the top flight, while the duo of Johnny Grimal and Leon Nasemann beat ECU's John Schmiit and Mario Martinez at No. 3.
East Carolina (4-2) won the No. 2 doubles match, 8-7 (4), as Niels Cleeren and David Mascriorini handed the Memphis tandem of Connor Glennon and David Henry their first duals doubles loss of the season.
In singles action, East Carolina picked up victories on courts one and three. Vliegen outlasted O'Hare, who is ranked 50th in singles play by the ITA, 3-6, 6-2, 11-9. Schmitt also triumphed in three sets, defeating Joe Salisbury 6-3, 3-6, 10-6. The Tigers used wins at No. 2, 5 and 6 to decide the match in Memphis' favor before the Pirates' claimed either of their individual victories.
Memphis 5, East Carolina 2
1. #47 David O'Hare/Joe Salisbury (Mem) def. Nicolas Soriano/Joran Vliegen (ECU) 8-6
2. Niels Cleeren/David Masciorini (ECU) def. David Henry/Connor Glennon (MEM), 8-7 (4)
3. Johnny Grimal/Leon Nasemann (Mem) def. John Schmitt/Mario Martinez (ECU), 8-6
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. # 50 David O'Hare (Mem), 3-6, 6-2, 11-9
2. Johnny Grimal (Mem) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU), 6-1, 6-1
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Joe Salisbury (Mem), 6-3, 3-6, 10-6
4. Connor Glennon (Mem) def. Niels Cleeren (ECU), 6-3, 6-4
5. David O'Leary (Mem) def. Damien Bernard (ECU), 6-0, 6-1
6. Leon Nasemann (Mem) def. David Mascaroni (ECU), 6-2, 6-4