March 10, 2013
KENNESAW, Ga. --- The East Carolina men's tennis won its seventh straight match and improved to 10-1 overall with a 6-1 win at Keensaw State Sunday. The Pirates won four of five singles matches in straight sets.
ECU opened the match by sweeping the doubles matches to a claim a 1-0 lead. The duo of Patriek Wolterbeek and Nicolas Soriano recorded the Pirates' first win of the day, taking out Matthew Johnson and Gianni Kubin and No. 3 doubles, 8-2. The No. 1 tandem of Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller also scored a 8-2 win, defeating Tobin Menhofer and Louis Theodor. Damein Brenard and Johns Schmitt completed the sweep with an 8-5 triumph over Alexander Pena and Gokalp Ozdemir.
Roller was the first singles victor with a 6-1, 6-1 win over Johnson at the No. 6 position. Vliegen followed with 6-0, 6-1 victory at on court No. 1 over Menhofer before Soriano defeated Kubin at No. 2, 6-3, 6-2 to clinch the match. Schmitt posted a 6-3, 6-4 win over Ozdemir at No. 4 and Mario Martines outlasted Alexander Pena at No. 5, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2.
Theodor registered Kennesaw State's lone win by defeating Brenard at No. 4, 6-2, 6-2.
East Carolina 6, Kennesaw State 1
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Tobi Menhofer (KSU) 6-0, 6-1
2. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Gianni Kubin (KSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Gokalp Ozdemir (KSU) 6-3, 6-4
4. Louis Theodor (KSU) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Mario Martinez (ECU) def. Alexander Pena (KSU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
6. Colin Roller (ECU) def. Matthew Johnson (KSU) 6-1, 6-1