March 22, 2013
GREENSBORO , N.C. --- The East Carolina men's tennis team saw its eight-match win streak come to an end on Friday as the Pirates dropped a 4-3 decision to UNCG at the Piedmont Indoor Center. The Pirates are now 11-2 on the season.
Play began with the Spartans No. 2 doubles tandem of Daniel Mack and Ahmet Sarioglu defeating ECU's duo of Damien Brenard and John Schmitt, 8-4. However, the Pirates won at doubles No. 1 and 3 to capture the point. Patriek Wolterbeek and Nicolas Soriano teamed for an 8-3 victory at No. 3 before Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller took down James Dougherty and Randy Phillips at No. 1, 9-8 (7-3).
The Pirates dropped the first three singles matches at flight four, two and five to take the lead before Soriano scored a 6-2, 6-4 win over Grayson Murray at No. 3. Cameron Smith then clinched the match for UNCG with a 2-6, 7-5, 6-4 over Roller.
Vliegen concluded the match with a three-set victory over Sarioglu at No. 1 to improve to 13-0 at the top flight position this season.
UNCG 4, East Carolina 3
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Ahmet Sarioglu (UNCG) 7-5, 2-6, 7-6 (6-3)
2. James Dougherty (UNCG) def. John Schmitt (ECU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG) 6-2, 6-4
4. Randy Phillips (UNCG) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-2, 6-0
5. Daniel Mack (UNCG) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 7-5, 6-3
6. Cameron Smith (UNCG) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4