April 7, 2013
GREENVILLE, N.C. --- Damien Brenard outlasted Charlie Ghriskey in three sets to give East Carolina 4-3 victory over College of Charleston at the River Birch Tennis Center Sunday with five of six singles matches going the distance.
With the victory, East Carolina improved to 15-3 overall and College of Charleston fell to 10-8.
The Pirates got out to a 1-0 lead by capturing the doubles point. John Schmitt and Mario Martinez posted an 8-2 victory over Brice Allanic and Charlie Chriskey at the No. 2 position. Patriek Wolterbeek and Nicolas Soriano followed with an 8-3 triumph over Matt Daly and Zack Lewis at No. 3 to clinch the point.
Schmitt was the lone player to win in straight sets as he defeated Crescente Lesser at No. 3 7-6, 7-5. Vliegen posted the Pirates' second win with 7-5, 4-6, 6-2 victory over Allanic at the No. 1 position.
After winning the opening set 6-2, Soriano fell to Sebastian Lopez in three sets, 3-6, 1-6. Martinez also won the first set against Lewis before falling in three, 6-3, 1-6, 5-7. Colin Roller was also a three-set victim falling to Billy Kenny 1-6, 6-3, 2-6.
The Pirates return to courts Wednesday, April 10 against Campbell. The match is scheduled to begin at 2:30 p.m. in Buies Creek.
East Carolina 4, College of Charleston 3
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Brice Allanic (COFC) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
2. Sebastian Lopez (COFC) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Crescente Lesser (COFC) 7-6, 7-5
4. Damien Brenard (ECU) def. Charlie Ghriskey (COFC) 7-6, 4-6, 6-4
5. Zack Lewis (COFC) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Billy Kenny (COFC) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2