April 10, 2013
BUIES CREEK, N.C. - Joran Vliegen suffered his first singles loss of the spring season to Fernando Guillen Wednesday for the decisive point in East Carolina's 4-3 men's tennis loss to Campbell at the Nisbet Tennis Center, ending the Pirates' three-match winning streak.
A junior from Belgium, Vliegen lost for the first time after 17 victories at the top singles spot this spring, falling in three sets 5-6, 7-5, 5-7.
ECU claimed the doubles point as Vliegen teamed with Colin Roller for an 8-2 triumph over Guillen and Adrien Rossignon at the top spot. The Pirates' duo of Nicholas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek earned an 8-5 win over Steven Billington and Rik Van Gerwen at the No. 3 position to clinch the point. Josep Baro and David Clavera defeated ECU's tandem of John Schmitt and Mario Martinez, 8-3, at the No. 2 spot.
Schmitt and Soriano captured the Pirates' only two singles victories. Schmitt defeated Billington in straight sets 6-4, 6-2 at No. 3 before Soriano rallied from a set down at No. 2 to beat Rossignon 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.
Damien Brenard and Martinez lost in straight sets at the No. 4 and 6 positions, while Roller fell in three at No. 5 to Baro.
East Carolina will play its final regular season match Saturday, April 13 against UNC Wilmington. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m. at the River Birch Tennis Center.
Campbell 4, East Carolina 3
1. Fernando Guillen (CAM) def. Joran Vliegen (ECU) 6-4, 5-7, 7-5
2. Nicholas Soriano (ECU) def. Adrien Rossingnon (CAM) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Steven Billington (CAM) 6-2, 6-4
4. David Clavera (CAM) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-2, 6-3
5. Josep Baro (CAM) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 2-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
6. Rik Van Gerwen (CAM) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 6-1, 6-4
East Carolina 15-4