April 13, 2013
GREENVILLE, N.C. --- The East Carolina men's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 55 UNC Wilmington at the River Birch Tennis Center on Saturday to close out the regular season.
With the loss the Pirates dropped to 15-5 on the season, while the Seahawks improved to 16-4.
ECU lost the doubles point for just the third time all year, falling at No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The Pirates earned their lone doubles victory at the No. 1 spot as Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller teamed up to defeat the 20th-ranked duo of Chris Cooprider and Kosta Blank. Vliegen and Roller are a perfect 15-0 at No. 1 doubles in 2013.
Vliegen scored his second win over a ranked opponent on the day with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over No. 54 Rafel Aita to improve to 18-1 at No.1 singles during the spring season. Patriek Wolterbeek recorded ECU's only other singles triumph at No. 6 as he outlasted Pedro Mol in three sets (3-6, 6-4, 11-9).
The Pirates will open postseason play at the Conference USA Championships in Memphis, Tenn. The event is scheduled to begin Thursday, April 18. Seedings and pairings will be announced at a later time.
#55 UNC Wilmington 5, East Carolina 2
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. #54 Rafael Aita (UNCW) 6-4, 6-4
2. Chris Cooprider (UNCW) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Sam Williams (UNCW) def. John Schmitt (ECU) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kosta Blank (UNCW) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Zach Hublitz (UNCW) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Patriek Wolterbeek (ECU) def. Pedro Mol (UNCW) 3-6, 6-4, 11-9