Pirates Close Out Regular Season With Win Over Elon
April 14, 2012
GREENVILLE, N.C. - The East Carolina men's tennis team concluded its regular season with an exciting 4-3 victory over Elon Saturday afternoon. The Pirates won two of three doubles matches to win the doubles point, then got singles victories from Joran Vliegen, John Schmitt and Mario Martinez to clinch the match.
Doubles play started the day, with ECU getting wins from its No. 2 and 3 pairs. Nicolas Soriano and Damien Brenard posted an 8-5 victory over Eric Turner and Andrew Prince at No. 2, while Schmitt and Patriek Wolterbeek outlasted Jordan Kaufmann and Dan Sablik, 9-7.
In singles play, Vliegen recorded a 6-2 win in the first set, then rolled to a 6-3 win in the second set to get the victory at No. 1 singles. Although Elon got a win at No. 2 and 3 singles and a three-set win at the No. 5 spot, ECU saw the bottom of its ladder play focused, dominant tennis to make sure that the Pirates got the win. Schmitt won 6-2, 6-2 at No. 4, and Martinez won 6-3, 7-6 (6) win at No. 6.
ECU will next be in action at the Conference USA Championships, to be held in Orlando beginning April 19.
East Carolina 4, Elon 3
1. Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Cameron Silverman (ELON) 6-2, 6-3
2. Stefan Fortmann (ELON) def. Niels Cleeren (ECU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Jordan Kaufman (ELON) def. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 6-4, 7-5
4. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Andrew Prince (ELON) 6-2, 6-2
5. Juan Madrid (ELON) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-6
6. Mario Martinez (ECU) def. Carlos Arboleda (ELON) 6-3, 7-6