April 18, 2013
MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- The No. 9 seeded East Carolina men's tennis team advanced to the quarterfinals of the 2013 Conference USA Championships on Thursday with a 4-3 first-round victory over No. 8 seed UCF at the Racquet Club of Memphis.
The Pirates will play top-seeded Tulsa Friday at 11 a.m. at the Dunavant-Wellford Tennis Center on the University of Memphis campus. Today's match was moved indoors due to high winds.
With the match tied at 3-all, Nicolas Soriano rallied from an opening set loss to defeat Jose Sangroniz at No. 2 singles (6-7, 6-4, 6-1) to give ECU the victory.
East Carolina (16-5) built a 3-1 lead in the match by winning the doubles point followed by wins at No. 3 and No. 1 singles.
The 59th-ranked doubles tandem of Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller disposed of Jorge Blasco and Amar Hormic, 8-2, at the No. 1 position before John Schmitt and Mario Martinez paired up for an 8-4 victory at No. 2 over Matthew Gladstone and Juan Bolona.
Gladstone defeated Damien Brenard at No. 4 singles to tie the match prior to Schmitt's win at No. 3 and Vliegen's 19th triumph of the season at No. 1 to give the Pirates' a two-point edge.
Roller and Patriek Wolterbeek each won his opening set at No. 5 and No. 6, respectively, but dropped the final two sets allowing the Knights (10-11) to tie the match.
East Carolina 4, UCF 3
1. #124 Joran Vliegen (ECU) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) 6-4, 6-4
2. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 6-7, 6-4, 6-1
3. John Schmitt (ECU) def. Amar Hromic (UCF) 6-2, 7-5
4. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Juan Bolona (UCF) def. Colin Roller (ECU) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
6. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Patriek Wolterbeek (ECU) 2-6, 6-1, 6-1