April 19, 2013
MEMPHIS, Tenn. - Ninth-seeded East Carolina captured the doubles against top-seeded Tulsa, but the Golden Hurricane won four singles matches in straight sets to eliminate the Pirates, 4-1, from the 2013 Conference USA Championships on Friday at the Dunavant-Wellford Tennis Center on the University of Memphis campus.
The Pirates ended their season at 16-6, while the 23rd-ranked Golden Hurricane advance to the semifinals to face SMU on Saturday.
The match opened with John Schmitt and Mario Martinez falling to the Tulsa duo of Carlos Bautista and Japie De Klerk, 8-2, at No. 2 doubles. ECU's 59th-ranked team of Joran Vliegen and Colin Roller tied the match with an 8-4 victory over Tristan Jack and Grant Ive at the No. 1 position. Nicolas Soriano and Patriek Wolterbeek captured the point for ECU by defeating Lucas Vaz and Matt Kirby, 8-5, at No. 3.
Damien Brenard suffered a 6-1, 7-5 loss to Alejandro Espejo at No. 4 singles as Tulsa tied the match at 1-1. Ive followed with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Schmitt at No. 3 before De Klerk defeated Vliegen at No. 1 singles 6-3, 6-3 and gave TU a 3-1 advantage. Bautista sealed the Golden Hurricane win with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Martinez at the No. 5 position.
#23 Tulsa 4, East Carolina 1
1. #41 Japie De Klerk (TLS) def. #124 Joran Vliegen (ECU) 6-3, 6-3
2. #48 Clifford Marsland (TLS) vs. Nicolas Soriano (ECU) 6-1, 5-7, unfinished
3. Grant Ive (TLS) def. John Schmitt (ECU) 6-4, 6-1
4. Alejandro Espejo (TLS) def. Damien Brenard (ECU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Carlos Bautista (TLS) def. Mario Martinez (ECU) 6-2, 6-1
6. Tristan Jackson (TLS) vs. Colin Roller (ECU) 6-3, 2-6, 1-2, unfinished