ECU Soccer Hosts Francis Marion, Travels To South Carolina
Sept. 12, 2013
GREENVILLE, N.C. – The East Carolina women’s soccer team will host its fifth consecutive home game Friday, September 13 at 7 p.m., against Francis Marion, before making a trip to Columbia, S.C., for a non-conference matchup against 18th-ranked South Carolina on Sunday, September 15 at 1 p.m.
Friday's match against the Patriots will be Youth Day, where the first 150 kids in attendance will receive a free t-shirt.
Last Sunday, the Pirates played its third double-overtime game which resulted in a 1-1 tie against George Washington University. Sophomore Kendall Frey tallied her first goal of the 2013 season in the 53rd minute and led the squad with three shots on goal. Junior goalkeeper Saundra Baron was spectacular in net, playing all 110 minutes while making eight saves – four of which came during the two overtime periods.
Freshman striker Lana Spitler leads ECU with five points and a team-high three assists in six games this season, while redshirt junior forward Lexi Miller owns a team-best nine total shots and four shots on goal this season.
Scouting Francis Marion:
- The Patriots are winless in 2013, with its most recent setback being a 3-2 defeat a Campbell on Sept. 7.
- FMU is averaging 10.2 shots per game, with nearly half of those shots coming on goal (.463).
- Elizabeth Asare is the team’s leading goal-scorer with two this season.
Scouting South Carolina:
- South Carolina’s offense is led by Danielle Au and Raina Johnson, who have both recorded seven points on three goals and one assist, respectively, this season.
- Defensively, goalkeeper Sabrina D’Angelo has allowed just one goal this season, en route to posting five shutouts in the team’s first six games.