Pirates Blanked at North Carolina State
Jan. 24, 2014
RALEIGH, N.C. – The East Carolina women’s tennis team was defeated, 7-0, Friday evening at 47th-ranked NC State in a non-conference matchup held in the J.W. Isenhour Tennis Center.
ECU (0-2) struggled to get it going in doubles play, as the No. 2 doubles unit comprised of Dana Gray and Maria Storozheva fell, 6-0, to the Wolfpack’s Joelle Kissell and Sophie Nelson. The Pirates surrendered the doubles point and fell behind 1-0 in the overall match with a 6-3 setback in the No. 3 doubles match, after Melis Tanik and Emily Groeneveld dropped a 6-3 decision to Liza Fieldsend and Rachael James-Baker.
Singles play didn’t change ECU’s fortune where North Carolina State (2-0) won all six matchups in straight sets. Groeneveld was defeated, 6-3, 6-2, by Fieldsend in the No. 4 spot, LaDuca was dispatched, 6-0, 6-2, in the No. 3 spot by Martinez and Tanik was outlasted, 6-1. 6-0, by Kissell on court one as NC State took a 4-0 lead to clinch the overall match.
The Wolfpack continued to sink its teeth into the Pirates, as James-Baker took down Castro, 7-5, 6-3, at the No. 2 spot, before Hande pushed past Storozheva Storozheva, 6-0, 6-4, on court five and Gray fell victim to Christy Sipes, 6-2, 6-4, on court six.
East Carolina will host Davidson in its home opener next Saturday, Feb. 1 at 11 a.m.
#47 NC State 7, East Carolina 0
1. Joelle Kissell (ST) def. Melis Tanik (ECU) 6-1, 6-0
2. Rachael James-Baker (ST) def. Michelle Castro (ECU) 7-5, 6-3
3. Nicole Martinez (ST) def. Nicole LaDuca (ECU) 6-0, 6-2
4. Liza Fieldsend (ST) def. Emily Groeneveld (ECU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Elisha Hande (ST) def. Maria Storozheva (ECU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Christy Sipes (ST) def. Dana Gray (ECU) 6-2, 6-4
1. Elisha Hande/Nicole Martinez (ST) def. Michelle Castro/Nicole LaDuca (ECU) 6-4
2. Joelle Kissell/Sophie Nelson (ST) def. Dana Gray/Maria Storozheva (ECU) 6-0
3. Liza Fieldsend/Rachael James-Baker (ST) def. Melis Tanik/Emily Groeneveld (ECU) 6-3
East Carolina 0-2
NC State 2-0; National ranking #47
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)